Baked Ham With POM-Cherry Glaze
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Time to table: 25 minutes prep, 1 1/2 hours cooking
- juice from 4-6 POM Wonderful Pomegranates,* or 2 cups POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dried sweet dark cherries
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1 8 to 10-lb. bone-in ham, (1/2 of a whole ham)
- whole cloves (enough to stud the ham)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup arils from 1 POM Wonderful Pomegranate
Preheat oven to 325 F.
Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate underwater to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
Place pomegranate juice and sugar in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil (about 2 minutes), lower heat and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add dried cherries.
Add rosemary and whole grain mustard. Allow glaze to sit while ham is cooking.
Score outside of ham and stud with cloves.
Brush ham with Dijon mustard.
Bake ham for 1 hour or until hot and internal temperature is 155 F to 160 F.
Cover with half of the glaze and cook for 20 more minutes.
Garnish with arils and remaining glaze.
* For 2 cups of juice, cut 4-6 POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
Serving Size: Makes 12-16 6-oz. Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving (6 oz.): 398 calories, 43g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 10g total fat (3g saturated), 94mg cholesterol, 2348mg sodium, 1g dietary fiber, 4mcg vitamin A RE, 1mg vitamin C.