Holiday Strawberry Cranberry Sauce
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This holiday season treat your guests to a new tradition. Dress up your cranberry sauce with California strawberries that are available year-round. This scrumptious combination is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser for any holiday gathering!
- 2 1/2 cups of sliced (frozen) California strawberries
- Handful of fresh California strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, cut in slivers
- Peel from 1/2 a large orange, cut in julienne strips
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Drain liquid from strawberries into 3-quart saucepan, reserving berries. Add sugar and water; bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Add cranberries, ginger, peel and cinnamon. Return to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved strawberries. Remove from heat; cool.
Spoon into pretty jars and garnish with slices of fresh strawberry; cover and refrigerate up to a month.
Serve as an accompaniment to hot or cold meats or poultry.
Serving Size: Makes 1 Quart