Southwestern Beef Stew
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - As the weather gets cooler, warm-up with this Southwestern all-in-one meal. This is an easy way to enjoy healthy ingredients and great flavour - it will warm you up inside!
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) outside round roast, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried oregano and ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) HP Sauce
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
Brown beef on all sides in oil in large Dutch oven pot. Add flour and stir to coat beef.
Add onions, garlic, seasonings, beef broth, HP Sauce and tomatoes.
Cover and bake at 350 F for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
Add peppers, corn and beans and continue cooking 1/2 hour until vegetables are tender. Serve with sour cream and chopped fresh coriander, if desired.
Serving Size: Makes 6 1 1/2 Cup Servings