Spicy Sizzling Shrimp
Contributed by: NewsUSA
Refreshing Riesling and Sizzling Spices - a Perfect Pairing
(NewsUSA) - The key to successfully pairing wines with food is
to select wines with aromas and flavors that complement the foods you intend to serve. Hot, spicy
dishes are best served with light, fruity wines such as Riesling.
Riesling is a refreshing and versatile white wine. It is delicate and fruity with
crisp acidity, a great partner to foods with a bit of heat.
The recipe below was developed to showcase the fresh fruitiness of Riesling alongside spicy barbecue. Lots of spices and simple preparation add up to a piquant appetizer that's ideal for warm-weather dining. Alice White's Riesling mellows the heat just a bit for a duo that's light but immensely flavorful.
- 1 lb medium raw shrimp (16-20)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 whole star anise, crushed with back of a spoon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Optional garnish: sliced jicama, lemon wedges, chili powder
Peel and de-vein the shrimp, leaving tails on. Mix the lemon juice, honey and oil in a
mixing bowl. Add next 10 ingredients (spices) and shrimp; stir gently to distribute well. Cover and
marinate 2-3 hours in refrigerator.
Prepare a medium-hot barbecue fire or preheat broiler to high. Drain shrimp
briefly and distribute evenly on oiled grill (or broiler pan, if using oven). Grill or broil 2-3
minutes, turning once or twice, just until shrimp curl up and are pink throughout. Do not overcook.
Serve heaped on a platter, surrounded with slices of peeled jicama and lemon, both sprinkled with
chili powder. These are tasty any time of year.
Double the recipe if you have more guests.
For more pairing tidbits, please visit www.alicewhite.com.
Serving Size: Makes 4-5 Appetizer or 2-3 Entree Servings