Rise & Shine Smoothie
Contributed by: NAPSA
For The Love Of Fiber
(NAPSA) - Maintaining a fiber-rich diet is important to overall health and wellness. Beyond helping you stay regular and energized throughout the day, it may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
The recommended daily allowance of dietary fiber for women is 21 to 25 grams per day and for men, 30 to 38 grams. However, according to dietary experts at the American Dietetic Association, most Americans consume only about half the recommended amount. At this level, people are missing out on fiber's potential health benefits.
Because fiber comes in different forms from different plants, such as oats, apples and celery, it's important to eat a variety of fiber-rich foods to reap the many benefits.
Following are tips for boosting fiber intake throughout the day:
- Get a great start. Research shows that people who get the closest to the daily recommendation for fiber are often getting a large percentage from a high-fiber breakfast. Opt for products with "bran" or "fiber" in the name, such as No Sugar Added Carnation(r) Instant Breakfast(r) Complete Nutritional Drink with added fiber. Or sprinkle unprocessed wheat bran onto your favorite cereal.
- Don't peel away. Much of the fiber in fruits and vegetables comes from the peel.
- Mix in legumes. Add legumes to your favorite salad or mash and mix them with ground beef in casseroles or meat loaves. They're flavorful, nutritious and one of the best fiber sources around.
- Consume fruit often. Some good sources of fiber include raspberries, apples, bananas, oranges and pears. Incorporate them into easy-to-make recipes, such as this one for a Rise & Shine Smoothie.
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) evaporated fat free milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, strawberries or 1/2 of a banana
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar free, fat free yogurt
- 1 packet No Sugar Added Strawberry Sensation or No Sugar Added Classic French Vanilla Flavor Carnation(r) Instant Breakfast(r) Complete Nutritional Drink
PLACE ice, evaporated milk, berries, yogurt and Carnation Instant Breakfast in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
For more nutritious and easy-to-make smoothie recipes, visit www.CIBe.com.
Serving Size: Makes 1 Serving
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 250 calories (5 calories from fat), 18g protein, 45g carbohydrates, 0.5g fat, 0g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 7g dietary fiber.