POM-Glazed Roast Chicken
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Time to table: 20 minutes prep, 1 1/2 hours roasting
- juice from 1 POM Wonderful Pomegranate,* or 1/4 cup POM Wonderful Pomegranate Juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup whole grain mustard
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 4- to 6-lb. chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1/2 fresh orange, cut in two pieces
Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
Make glaze by combining pomegranate juice, orange juice, vinegar, parsley and mustard and half of the fresh thyme, leaves only.
Rinse chicken; pat dry. Place on a roasting rack in a shallow pan; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Use half of the glaze mixture to coat the chicken.
Place remaining thyme leaves in the chicken cavity with onion and orange.
Cover the chicken loosely with foil and roast for 30 minutes at 350 F.
Remove foil and coat chicken with the remaining glaze.
Increase oven temperature to 375 F and continue to bake.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer in the thigh of the chicken reads 165 F and juices run clear.
* For 1 cup of juice, cut 2-3 POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving (8 oz.): 301 calories, 29g protein, 8g carbohydrate, 17g total fat (4g saturated), 89mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium, 1g dietary fiber, 74mcg vitamin A RE, 16mg vitamin C.