Veggie "Confetti" Muffins
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Invite all the kids - it's a party in the kitchen. These delicious and nutritious veggie "confetti" muffins can be enjoyed anytime, no special occasion required.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) each, chili powder and salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each diced celery, red pepper, green pepper and shredded carrot
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain low fat yogurt or light sour cream
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
In a bowl stir together flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, seasonings, cheese and vegetables. In another bowl, stir egg, milk, yogurt and oil together until well mixed. Add to flour mixture; stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
Spoon into paper-lined muffin pans. For mini muffins, bake in preheated 400 F oven for 12 -15 minutes. For regular muffins, bake in preheated 375 F oven for 20 minutes.
Breakfast for Learning is the leading non-profit organization solely dedicated to child nutrition in Canada. More recipes and child nutrition resources are available online at www.breakfastforlearning.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 12 Regular or 30 Mini Muffins
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 66 calories, 2g protein,4g total fat (1g saturated fat), 7g carbohydrates, 78mg sodium