Pizza-Style Stuffed Potatoes
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Mention the word pizza and you'll get kids excited. Kids can help microwave potatoes, scoop out the insides and mix the filling of this yummy recipe.
- 2 baking potatoes (Russets), unpeeled, washed
- 2 oz. (50 g) pepperoni slices, cut in quarters
- Pizza toppings such as sliced olive, bell peppers, etc. (optional)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) soft margarine or butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Cheddar cheese
Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Prick each potato three times.
Place potatoes cut side down on microwaveable plate. Microwave on high for four to five minutes, or until a fork pierces potato easily. Remove plate of potatoes from microwave and cover with clean tea towel for five minutes to let potatoes continue cooking.
In a bowl, mix pepperoni, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese and margarine or butter. Set aside.
Scoop out flesh in each potato half, leaving a thin shell of potato inside skins. Stir scooped potato into pepperoni mixture.
Fill potato shells with potato-pepperoni mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Place on a baking sheet, Bake 15 to 20 minutes in a regular oven at 400 F (200 C), until cheese is lightly browned. Or heat in toaster oven until cheese is browned.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Potatoes