3 Grain Bread Granola Parfaits
Contributed by: News Canada
Healthy lunchbox tips for busy parents
By Dr. Joey Shulman
1. Make sure your children have a variety of foods to tempt their palates. Children like to discover and open up individual containers when they eat their lunch.
2. In addition to main course items such as sandwiches or soups, include a variety of healthy snack options (2-3) for your child to eat (i.e. sliced bell peppers, mini carrots and apple slices).
3. Visit the bulk food section of your supermarket and purchase a healthy trail mix (nuts, seeds and dried fruit) for an additional snack option. Nut free options are also available.
4. Make sandwiches for your child on a variety of whole grain breads (tip: Stonemill Bakehouse offers breads that are whole grain, all natural or organic). For more information about Stonemill Bakehouse and healthy recipes, visit: http://www.stonemillbakehouse.com.
5. Children need water for optimal health and hydration. Pack mini water bottles in their lunch as their main source of liquid. When buying juice, stick to juices that are made from 100% real fruit juice.
- 4 slices Spouted Grains - 3 Grain Bread 4
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped 125 mL
- 1 tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger 15 mL
- 1 tbsp non-hydrogenated oil 15 mL
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 2 mL
- 2 cups mixed fruit (berries, mango, grapes) 500 mL
- 1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt 250 mL
- Maple syrup or honey to taste
In bowl, break up bread into very coarse crumbs. Toss with almonds, ginger, oil, maple syrup and cinnamon until well combined.
Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in the center of a 250°F oven, stirring once, until bread is golden and crunchy, about 30 minutes. Turn off oven and leave in oven until completely cooled. Transfer to covered container. Granola will keep at room temperature for up to 5 days.
To Make Parfaits:
Arrange half of the fruit in the bottom of four glasses. Top with 2 tbsp of yogurt and 2 tbsp of granola. Repeat layers and serve immediately.
Source: Stonemill Bakehouse (www.stonemillbakehouse.com)
Serving Size: Makes 4 Breakfast Parfaits