Contributed by: NAPSA
Healthy Snacking Around The Clock
(NAPSA) - Healthy snacking can be easier than many people think. For example, nutrition expert Terra Wellington recommends the following snacking tips to keep you eating healthy all day long:
- Fruit First. Satisfy your hunger by reaching for a piece of fruit. Fruit is filling and contains no fat, only a few calories and provides you with vitamins, minerals, fiber and other essential nutrients.
- Brown Bag It. Pack snacks in advance. Make sure to mix carbohydrates with lean protein. Try pairing Old London Pita Chips with hummus, ricotta or goat cheese and top it off with olives or fresh vegetables for an easy, flavorful snack option.
- Energize Yourself. When your energy is low and you have a while to go before dinner, reach for a substantial snack, such as whole-grain cereal or Melba toast topped with peanut butter or an apple slice and cheese.
- Sleep Tight. It's fine to snack before bed as long as you keep it light. Satisfy nighttime hunger with a light, nutritious snack like chopped vegetables or light popcorn. Stay away from foods that are high in calories, caffeinated or sugary. They can keep you from getting a good night's rest.
Try this quick and simple recipe to spice up snack time:
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 heaping tsp chopped red onion
- 1/4-1/2 tsp fresh jalapeno, diced (to desired heat)
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1-2 tsp coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Keep chilled until ready to eat.
Pair salsa with Old London Classic Melba Snacks.
For other great recipe ideas, visit www.oldlondonfoods.com.
Serving Size: Makes 1 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 25 calories, 0g fat, 0 mg of cholesterol, 5mg of sodium, 6g of total carbohydrates, 1g protein.