Cabarnet Peach Pork
Contributed by: News Canada
Savoury Summer Sweetness
(NC) - The love affair between fruit and pork is a story of deep flavours and tenderness. Sweet juicy Ontario peaches or nectarines complement the savoury rich taste of the pork. To complete this match is a rich Cabernet sauce with flavour accents including cinnamon, gingerroot and sweet brown sugar.
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 cup onion, chopped 250 mL
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed 75 mL
- 1-1/2 cup Cabarnet VQA wine 375 mL
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce 125 mL
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar 30 mL
- 1/4 cup gingerroot, minced 50 mL
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon 7 mL
- 1 tsp freshly cracked pepper 5 mL
- 6 bone-in center cut pork chops 6
- 3 Ontario peaches or nectarines, sliced 3
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley 50 mL
In non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in wine, soy sauce, vinegar, gingerroot, cinnamon and pepper. Cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Place pork in a resealable plastic bag. Pour in 1-cup (250 mL) of the marinade. Seal and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to one day; turning occasionally.
Grill pork over medium high heat on a lightly greased grill until pork has only a hint of pink, about 8 to minutes per side (will depend on thickness). Discard marinade.
Meanwhile, in a skillet heat reserved marinade over medium high heat. Add peach or nectarine slices and cook until tender and sauce has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve over grilled pork.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings