Contributed by: NAPSA
Cool Sides For Poolside
(NAPSA) - When enjoying meals alfresco, whether at a park or in your own backyard, the food just seems to taste more delicious. No-fuss cookouts start when you fire up the grill. To balance out the meal, bring refreshing side dishes to pack in nutrition and flavor. That's good news for cooks who prefer more time in the lounge chair than in the kitchen.
Most grilled meats, particularly those doused in spicy barbecue sauces and marinades, call for flavors to balance out the heat. Sweet and juicy fits the bill. Coleslaw is a typical choice. A south-of-the-border coleslaw updated with the addition of raisins and tropical fruits makes a new take on slaw.
An elegant green and radicchio salad works well with summer fruit and a tarragon-infused dressing. Simply make the dressing, assemble the salad, then toss together just before serving.
Both salads travel well when packed in a cooler. One tasty travel tip is to freeze juice pouches and drink boxes, then pack them around the salads in your cooler. Guests will have slushy frozen drinks by the time the party gets rolling.
- 1/2 small head cabbage, finely shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins or Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango, cubed and thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen papaya, cubed and thawed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cilantro leaves chopped, for garnish
Combine cabbage, carrots, onions, bell pepper, raisins, mango and papaya in large bowl. Mix sugar, olive oil and lime juice in small bowl. Add to vegetables and fruit; mix thoroughly.
Turn into serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
Summer Fruit Bowl
- 4 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) prewashed butter lettuce and radicchio salad mix
- 3 fresh ripe nectarines, sliced
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Natural or Golden Raisins
- 1/4 honeydew or casaba melon, sliced
To make dressing, combine dressing ingredients in jar; shake well.
In large salad bowl, combine greens and fruit. Toss gently with dressing.
For more side-dish ideas, check out www.sunmaid.com.
Serving Size: Makes 6 to 8 Servings