Crispy French Toast Sticks
Contributed by: News Canada
What's for breakfast?
(NC) - With so much to see and do outdoors this summer, it's tempting to run out the door without having breakfast. Resist the urge to miss the most important meal of the day with Imperial's (www.homebasics.ca) irresistible breakfast French Toast Sticks.
- 6 eggs (6)
- 1/3 cup milk (75 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
- pinch of nutmeg
- 6 slices of raisin bread (1-inch/2.5 cm) thick, crusts trimmed,
- each cut into 3 equal parts to create sticks (6)
- 2 1/2 cups bran flake cereal (no raisins), crushed (625 mL)
- 2 tsp soft non-hydrogenated margarine, divided (10 mL)
- low-fat vanilla yogurt, fresh fruit slices
Preheat the oven to 200 F (100 C).
Vigorously whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg. Pour mixture into a shallow baking dish large enough to hold bread in one layer. Let bread soak for about 30 seconds and then turn over. Continue soaking until all the egg mixture is absorbed.
Place the cereal in a second baking dish. Melt 1 tsp (5 mL) of margarine in a large, non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Dredge each bread stick in cereal on both sides. Working in two batches, fry the sticks until crispy and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat and keep warm in preheated oven.
Repeat with remaining margarine and bread sticks. Serve with yogurt and fresh fruit.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings