Layered Fajita Rice Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
Whip up this tasty grilled salad in as little as 20 minutes!
- 2 cups(500ml) warm, cooked MINUTE RICE
- 3 tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30ml) hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) each ground cumin, oregano, salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500g) top sirloin grilling steak, about 1 inch (2.5cm) thick
- 1 each thinly sliced sweet red pepper, sweet yellow pepper and red onion
- 2 cups (500ml) shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) each ranch-style dressing and sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup (125ml) each chopped green onion and tomato
- Small, soft flour tortillas, warmed
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Stir the oil with the hot sauce, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Brush half of the oil mixture over the steak. Place the peppers and onion on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with the remaining oil mixture. Fold over to make a secure flat packet, crimping edges to seal.
Grill the vegetables for 15 minutes, turning the packet occasionally. Meanwhile, grill the steak for 4 minutes. Flip the steak, reduce the heat to medium. Grill for an additional 3 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to preferred doneness. Tent the steak with foil and let stand for 5 minutes; slice thinly. Drain and discard any juices on the cutting board.
Transfer the sliced steak and grilled vegetables to a large, straight-sided glass blow or trifle dish. Top with the rice, then layer of lettuce. Stir the dressing with the sour cream and spoon evenly over the lettuce. Garnish with cheese, green onion and tomato. Serve with warm tortillas on the side.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings