Greenhouse Cucumber Gazpacho
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - As cool and refreshing to the eye as to the palate, cucumbers and tomatoes successfully switch roles in this summer soup. For those who like it zesty, add some heat with more hot pepper sauce.
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber (unpeeled)
- 1 cup (250 mL) regular-strength chicken broth
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed, torn up
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) Worcestershire sauce or to taste
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper sauce or to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) diced seeded Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced (unpeeled) Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped purple onion
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped sweet green pepper
- Salt and pepper
Cut cucumber lengthwise into quarters; slice crosswise into thick pieces. In blender, combine
cucumber, chicken broth, bread, oil, vinegar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce;
blend until smooth.
Transfer to large bowl. Stir in tomatoes, diced cucumber, onion and green pepper. Season
with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours before
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings
Nutritional Information: Per serving: Calories: 159 Protein: 3 grams Fat: 11 grams Carbohydrate: 12 grams.