Greenhouse Cucumber Salad with Charred Tomato Vinaigrette
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This pretty, composed salad offers fresh greens as a foil for crisp cucumbers and delicate enoki mushrooms. An intensely tomato, smoky dressing gives this starter the signature of new millenium cuisine - luscious!
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Cucumbers (12-inches/30 cm long) unpeeled
- 4 cups (1 L) torn mixed salad greens
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) thinly sliced purple onion
- 1 pkg (100 g) enoki mushrooms or 1 cup (250 mL) radish sprouts
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Charred Tomato Vinaigrette
Charred Tomato Vinaigrette:
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) red wine vinegar
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) liquid honey
- Salt and pepper
- 4 medium Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, cored, cut into thirds and drained
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
Cut ends from cucumbers; cut crosswise in half. Score outside peel of cucumber with tines of
fork; cut each half into one 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) piece, one 2-inch (5 cm) piece and one 2-1/2-inch (6
cm) piece. Cut off 1 end of each piece diagonally. Hollow out center of each piece with melon
Place mixed greens on individual salad plates; sprinkle with onion. Arrange 3 different-size
pieces of cucumber, flat end down, among greens. Divide mushrooms among cucumber cups.
Drizzle each with Charred Tomato Vinaigrette.
In shallow dish, dip tomato slices into oil to coat both sides. Heat large skillet
over high heat; cook tomatoes until blackened in spots on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
Transfer to plate.
Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the olive oil to pan; saute onion, garlic and chili sauce until onion
begins to brown. Return tomatoes to pan. Add vinegar and remaining oil; cook for 1 minute,
scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
Transfer tomato mixture to blender; chop finely using pulse button (do not purée).
Press through coarse sieve set over bowl. Add honey; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool.
Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings & 1 cup
Nutritional Information: Per serving: Calories: 189 Protein: 3 gram Fat: 13 grams Carbohydrate: 15 grams