How to Set up a Cupcake Stand
Contributed by: News Canada
How To: Keep your children busy this summer
(NC) - The long days of summer are finally here, bringing with them loads of sunshine, bright blue skies and your kids at home... all day... all summer long. Short of shipping them off to summer camp, how can you keep them happy and busy? Check out this easy "how-to tip" from Duncan Hines to keep your children busy this summer:
Like a lemonade stand, this fun project lets parents bake with their children, teaching them important lessons in measurement, where food comes from and working with money.
- With your children, bake cupcakes according to directions and let cool.
- Encourage them to be creative in decorating - add sprinkles, different colours, or candy to individualize the cupcakes.
- Bring out a table, a chair and a paper table cover. Use a coloured one, to make it look pretty and attract people.
- Place a sign on the ground near you so people can see you are selling cupcakes.
- Try to do this on a mild day - not too hot or the icing will melt.
- Charge a fair price for your cupcakes.
- Provide paper plates and/or napkins.
- Be very polite to any buyer.
- Make sure your stand is very neat.
- Ensure you have spare change on hand.
- Place the money box near you, but out of sight.
Things You'll Need:
- Duncan Hines mixes and frosting
- Decorating tools: sprinkles, food colouring, candy, etc
- Table, cover and chair
- Paper plates/napkins
- Box to put the money in
Bonus: To teach the value of philanthropy, suggest donating the proceeds of the sale to a local charity based on the children's interest. A charity that helps protect endangered species, for example, is perfect for animal lovers.