Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This tasty treat can be made easily outside with the rest of you BBQ favourites:
- 2 cans (398 mL each) kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Diana Marinade, spicy southwest flavour
- 1 cup (250 mL) each thinly sliced onion and green pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) Heinz chili sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each chopped fresh coriander and lime juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Tex Mex-style or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped green onions
Preheat the grill to medium. Stir the beans with the marinade, onion and green pepper. Transfer to a foil lasagna pan. Cover loosely with foil. Grill for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Break up the beans by mashing gently with a potato masher.
Meanwhile, stir the chili sauce with the coriander and lime juice. Spoon the rice over the bean mixture. Top with chili sauce mixture and shredded cheese. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or just until cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and green onion.
For a hearty main course, spoon the mixture into soft flour tortillas to make instant burritos. For a perfect Tex Mex accompaniment, serve this dish with grilled steak or ribs.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Side Dishes or 4 Main Course Servings