Mushroom Cheddar Strudel With Garlic & Thyme
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Aged cheddar with phyllo pastry is a melt-in-your-mouth combination. Imagine what it's like when you add just the right amount of complimentary ingredients.
Balderson Flavour Tip: When grating cheddar measure as follows: a 1-ounce chunk of cheese (28g) will provide 1/3 cup (75 mL) of grated cheese.
- The Filling
- 1 tbsp butter (15 mL)
- 4 cups sliced button mushrooms (1 L)
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion (60 mL)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (5 mL)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (1 mL)
- 1 cup cooked & diced Yukon Gold Potato (250 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely grated Balderson Vintner's Red Cheddar Cheese (310 mL)
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt butter until foaming. Add mushrooms and onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and sauté until any liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Season and remove from heat to cool 10 minutes. Toss mushroom mixture with potato and the grated cheddar cheese.
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3 tbsp butter, melted (45 mL)
- 1 egg whisked with 2 tbsp (30 mL) water for brushing
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds, optional (15 mL)
Layer sheets of phyllo pastry on each other, brushing each sheet lightly with butter before layering. Spoon filling along long edge of pastry. Roll up pastry to cover filling and lift onto prepared baking tray. Press ends of pastry to seal. Brush strudel with eggwash and sprinkle with poppy seeds (optional).
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a rich golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings