Pumpkin Pecan Cheddar Bread Pudding
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - See the generous splash of our all-Canadian maple syrup in this dessert treat that also cleverly combines just the right amount of cinnamon, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, pecans - plus a mild, all-natural cheddar.
Balderson Flavour Tip: You can freeze cheddar but it's best to let the cheese thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using, or serving. This prevents the moisture from separating too quickly changing the texture.
- 6 cups cubed day-old baguette or other crusty bread (1.5L)
- 2 tbsp butter (30 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (375 mL)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar 975 mL)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (75 mL)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp fine salt (1 mL)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups 2% milk (425 mL)
- 1 cup coarsely grated Balderson Mild Cheddar (250 mL) plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted pecan pieces (125 mL) plus extra for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and grease an 8-inch square pan.
Toss cubed bread with melted butter in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk pumpkin, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. Whisk eggs and milk into pumpkin mixture and pour over bread. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes to soak in. Stir in the mild cheddar and pecan pieces and pour into prepared dish. Cover dish with parchment paper then foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle with extra cheddar and pecan pieces and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, until centre springs back when pressed. Let bread pudding cool for 15 minutes.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings