Mushroom and Chicken Chili
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Nutritious mushrooms add flavour and texture as well as extending the meat in this lighter version of chili. Optional garnishes make for an attractive presentation.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 18 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil 25 mL
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey 500 g
- 1 medium onion, chopped 1
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped 1
- 1 lb sliced fresh Mushrooms 500 g
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed 1
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes 1
- 2 tbsp chili powder 25 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional) 1 mL
- Light sour cream or yogurt (optional)
- Grated cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro (optional)
Heat oil in large saucepan; add chicken, cook and stir frequently for about 3 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes if using; lower heat and cover. Simmer 10 minutes or longer. Garnish with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and cilantro if desired.
Variation: Substitute diced jalapeno pepper for chili flakes, adjusting the amount to taste.
For more great mushroom recipes visit us online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings