Grilled Ontario Veal T-Bone
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - The ultimate indulgence - the T-bone - becomes a tender, moist marvel in this recipe that pairs Ontario veal with a rosemary-infused, fruity fig confit and golden roasted sweet potatoes.
- 4 to 6 dried figs, stems removed 4 to 6
- 1 stem fresh rosemary, chopped 1
- 1/4 cup white wine 50 mL
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice 50 mL
- 2 cloves roasted garlic 2
- to taste salt and pepper to taste
- Sweet Potatoes:
- 1-1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (2 to 3 medium potatoes) 750 g
- 1/2 tsp each cumin seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns 2 mL
- 1 tsp coarse salt, divided 5 mL
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 4 14 oz (425 g) Ontario veal T-bone steaks 4
- 1/4 cup European seasoning (or combination of olive oil, sea salt, cracked pepper and herbes de Provence) 50 mL Fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish, if desired
In medium saucepan over medium heat, add figs, rosemary, wine, juice, garlic and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low until figs are tender, approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool. Puree in food processor until smooth and set aside.
Meanwhile, prepare sweet potatoes:
Cut sweet potatoes lengthwise into quarters. Slice each quarter lengthwise into four pieces. In small skillet over medium high heat, combine cumin, coriander and peppercorns. Toast seeds just until they are fragrant and start to pop, about 3 minutes. Transfer to spice grinder and process until smooth.
In large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, spices, half of the salt and olive oil. Toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in a 450 F (230 C) oven, turning once, until potatoes are golden and tender, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining salt.
Heat grill or barbecue to high. Season T-bones with 2 tsp (10 mL) European seasoning and grill, turning once, until medium-rare, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and allow to rest 5 minutes.
To serve, place T-bone on heated plate and mound 1 tbsp (15 mL) fig confit next to meat. Serve with roasted sweet potato wedges and garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings