Mushroom Pita Pockets
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A fresh and crunchy salad filling for a low fat sandwich. For a totable lunch pack salad separately in a plastic container and fill pitas just before eating.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 0 minutes
- 12 oz medium mushrooms, thinly sliced 375 g
- 1/2 cup Each diced red pepper, cucumber and green onion 125 mL
- 3/4 cup no fat herb or Italian dressing 175 mL
- 4 pita (6-7 "/15-17 cm) halved 4
- 8 small lettuce leaves 8
- Fresh herb sprigs (optional) dill, coriander, basil, or oregano
In large bowl, combine mushrooms, red pepper, cucumber, onion, cheese if using and dressing. Toss to mix well. Open pita halves and place lettuce leaf in each pita half. Spoon filling evenly into the pita halves. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
Variation: Spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) low fat mayonnaise inside each pita half.
For more great mushroom recipes visit us online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings