Contributed by: NAPSA
Five Ways To Stronger Bones
by Mindy Hermann, R.D.
(NAPSA) - May is National Osteoporosis Awareness and Prevention Month, a good time to think about your bone health. Take these simple steps now to delay joining the millions of American adults over the age of 50 who have osteoporosis.
- Go for three daily servings of naturally calcium-rich low-fat or nonfat milk, cheese or yogurt. Or include other high-calcium beverages and foods; for example, soymilk with calcium, calcium-fortified juice, and all five varieties of Whole Grain Total cereal.
- Make sure that your daily routine includes walking, jogging, dancing, hiking or other weight-bearing activities that help preserve your bones.
- Catch a few rays. Exposure to sunlight stimulates production of vitamin D-a vitamin that helps the body absorb calcium. Vitamin D is also added to milk and some yogurts.
- Boost your balance. Core-strengthening exercises on an exercise ball, yoga and Pilates can all improve your balance and lessen your chances of falling.
- Try recipes that include high-calcium ingredients, like our delicious Banana-Wheat Muffins.
Mindy Hermann, M.B.A., R.D., is a nutrition writer for women's, health and fitness magazines. She is the co-author of "Change One" and the American Medical Association's "Family Health Cookbook."
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup slightly crushed Whole Grain Total(r) cereal
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 21/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups slightly crushed Whole Grain Total(r) cereal
Heat oven to 400 F. Grease bottoms only of 12 regular-size muffin cups. Stir together streusel ingredients until crumbly; set aside.
In large bowl, stir together bananas, milk, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, oil and egg. Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt just until flour is moistened; stir in 1 1/4 cups slightly crushed cereal. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter in muffin cups.
Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving Size: Makes 12 Servings