Mozzarella Skillet Spaghetti
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Here is a great recipe to try with your cooking club. It's a one-pot meal that covers all four food groups, and the kids will love the creamy Mozzarella taste. It yields 12 servings so everyone can take some home. Keep it covered in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze serving size containers for up to 1 month. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and reheat in microwave or gently on stove top.
Serve with crusty whole wheat bread and a green salad.
Prep time - 25 minutes - Cooking time - 35 to 40 minutes
- 2 lbs extra lean or lean ground beef 1 kg
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 3
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms 1 L
- 2 cups chopped onion 500 mL
- 2 cups chopped green pepper 500 mL
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning 15 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp salt 7 mL
- 2 cans (28 oz/796) diced tomatoes, including juice 2
- 2 cups water 500 mL
- 3 cups broken spaghetti 750 mL
- 2 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar 30 mL
- 3 cups shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese 500 mL
- 1/2 cup grated Canadian Parmesan cheese 125 mL
- chopped fresh basil (optional)
In a large wide deep skillet or large pot brown beef over medium-high heat, breaking up beef with a spoon; drain off any fat. Add garlic, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, Italian seasoning and salt. Cook stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
Stir in diced tomatoes, water and broken spaghetti; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Remove from heat, stir in balsamic vinegar, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Serve sprinkled with fresh basil (if using).
Colby Macaroni Skillet:
Substitute 3 cups (750 mL) uncooked elbow macaroni for broken spaghetti. Omit dried Italian seasoning; substitute 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce. Substitute 3 cups (500 mL) Canadian Colby cheese for Canadian Mozzarella cheese.
Serving Size: Makes 12 Servings