Grilled Salad For All Seasons
Contributed by: NAPSA
A Versatile Main Dish Salad
(NAPSI) - To brighten mealtimes, fresh fruits and vegetables can be combined with high-quality, lower-fat protein in an easy, healthful yet elegant salad.
Chicken or turkey parts can be quickly prepared on the grill, arranged or tossed with sparkling greens plus the key ingredient that marries all flavors and textures: mild yet distinctive, mellow-nutty Jarlsberg cheese.
Celebrating more than 50 years in the U.S., Jarlsberg, classic and Lite, is a popular specialty cheese for good reason. Great for munching and wonderfully adaptable in cooking, it deliciously complements the tart-sweet curried dressing. Jarlsberg can turn even ordinary grilled foods and salads into special treats.
- 8 ounces cubed (1/2-inch) Jarlsberg cheese (Lite or classic)
- 6 1/2 cups cut-up fruits and/or vegetables (see below)
- 5 cups 1/2-inch slices Romaine lettuce
- 5 cups mesclun or spring mix salad, washed and dried
- Watercress sprigs to garnish
For Spring/Summer, use:
- 3 cups cubed mango
- 1 1/2 cups sliced peaches
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (or scallions)
- 1/2 cup raspberries
For Fall/Winter, use:
- 3 cups sliced pears
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick jicama (or radish)
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
Prepare salad and chill until serving time.
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pressed or finely minced garlic
- salt and/or pepper to taste, optional
Whisk together; set aside.
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, thigh or turkey breast cutlets
Place 2 tablespoons dressing in medium bowl and coat chicken or turkey. Arrange chicken or turkey on preheated grill (medium heat) and cook on each side 5-8 minutes or until no longer pink in the center. (Thin chicken breasts will take about 8 minutes, thighs and turkey will take longer.) Slice when cool enough to handle.
Arrange salad, layering greens, mixed fruits, vegetables, cheese and grilled poultry on serving plates, and pass the dressing. OR carefully mix greens in large bowl with fruits, vegetables, cheese and dressing.
Top with grilled poultry and serve with savory muffin, focaccia or bread.