Italian Company Cauliflower
Contributed by: Robert Cerello
Fast and Easy and Very Flavorful Way to Make Cauliflower.
- 1 medium head young cauliflower, broken into 1 1/2 inch pieces (These are then to be sliced 1/4" thick crosswise and then cut in half again)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut up but not minced
- 2 green onions, white portion and 1/3 of the green part, sliced into very thin rounds
- 1/3 sweet onion, sliced for saute and cooked only until translucent, ahead of time
- 1 sweet medium-sized tomato, cut into 2/3" rough chunks or smaller
- Hungarian sweet paprika, 1/2 tsp.
- Rice vinegar, about 1--1 1/2 tsp.
- 1/3 tsp. sugar or sugar substitute
- Grated Reggiano Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed for cauliflower saute
- herbs of choice
Saute onions the day before. Allow to cool and bag, keeping them in refrigerator.
Cut up all ingredients ahead of time and keep them in separate bowls for assembling the dish.
Add olive oil enough to saute the cauliflower; a little extra will be absorbed by the cauliflower anyhow. Add garlic to the oil and heat only until golden; spread evenly.
Heat oil to quite hot.
Season cauliflower with Hungarian paprika. Add it to the garlic and oil and keep the pieces moving, turning them over every twenty seconds with a small spatula or wooden spoon.
After about four minutes, add rice vinegar and sugar to the cauliflower also. After two minutes, add the green onions, distributing them throughout.
Continue saute for about six more minutes, or until the cauliflower has reached desired tenderness.
Remove cauliflower to a bowl. Allow to cool fifteen minutes. Add Parmesan cheese, grated, to the dish, being generous with amount, to taste. Add tomato and mix all ingredients together.
Taste for balance and correct herbs at this time.
Refrigerate dish for an hour, or overnight.
Add sour cream for a specialty dish. Use medium or Colby cheddar grated along with the grated Parmesan one-to-one. Cut garlic to about one clove add presaturated red pepper instead of tomato at the final stage. Or do this step then add an assertive tomato such as a grape or yellow cello tomato and sour cream plus some chives. Or add black Nicoise olives chopped small.
Serving Size: Makes 3 - 4 Servings