Fiesta Tuna Potato Casserole
Contributed by: News Canada
Easy ways to add omega-3s to your diet
(NC) - It's easy to add omega-3s to your diet. registered dietitian Andrea Holwegner offers the following tips:
- Instead of white bread, choose whole grain bread containing flaxseed.
- Enjoy fish such as grilled salmon or mackerel as part of a meal at least twice a week.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of ground flaxseed over cereal, oatmeal or yogurt.
- Most people don't realize that canned tuna contains omega-3s. To jazz up a classic tuna sandwich, consider using flavoured tuna (such as lemon pepper or sundried tomato & basil) as an alternative.
- Add half a can of light tuna or a few walnuts to your garden salad for a healthy boost of omega-3s.
- Make your own balsamic vinagrette using flaxseed, canola or soybean oil.
- Whip up an omelette using omega-3 enriched eggs with your choice of veggies and enjoy with a side of toast for a speedy lunch or dinner.
This Fiesta tuna potato casserole is a kid-friendly meal, sure to gain "thumbs-up" approval! Great for potlucks and kids' parties too.
Preparation Time: 10 min. - Baking Time: 25 min.
- 2 cooked baking potatoes
- 2 cans (170 g each) Clover Leaf Chunk White Tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each chopped green onion and corn kernels
- 2 cups (500 mL) mild salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese Sour cream (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Cut the potatoes into 1/2-in (1 cm) cubes, leaving the skin on. Stir the potatoes gently with the tuna, green onion, corn, and salsa. Scrape into a 7 x 11-inch (2 L) casserole.
Sprinkle evenly with the cheese and transfer to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream, if using.
Source of fibre (16%DV). Excellent source of vitamin B6 (30 % DV), vitamin B12 (35 %DV), vitamin D (70 %DV) and phosphorus (30 %DV). Good source of vitamin C (45 %DV), folate (15 %DV), niacin (20 %DV), thiamine (15 %DV), calcium (20 %DV), iron (15 %DV), zinc (15 %DV) and magnesium (25 %DV).
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: about 330 calories, 11 g fat, 22 g protein, 36 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 950 mg sodium.