Mushroom, Tomato and Corn Chowder
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Serve this low fat, hearty Italian style soup with a green salad and crusty whole wheat roll for a quick comforting meal. Vary the amount of red pepper flakes according to taste preference.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes - Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil 25 mL
- 1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms 500g
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white part only) (about 1 large) 500 mL
- 1 large potato, peeled & diced 1
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 2
- 1 tsp each, dried oregano and basil 5 mL
- 1/8 –1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes 1 mL
- 2 cups water 500 mL
- 2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels 500 mL
- 1 can (28oz/796mL) diced tomatoes 1
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp pepper 1 mL
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley (optional) 75 mL
In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat; add mushrooms, leeks, potato, garlic, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; saute about 5 minutes.
Add water and corn; bring to boil and cover. Lower heat and simmer about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil; lower heat to simmer for about 10 minutes or until hot.
Stir in parsley if desired.
Garnish with low fat grated mozzarella or parmesan cheese.
More great mushroom recipes are available online at www.mushrooms.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings