Blueberry Oatmeal Streusel Bars
Contributed by: News Canada
Find out how much fun it can be being square
(NC) - Fun to eat and easy to prepare, bar square recipes are irresistible and a great way to invite small kids or teenagers into the kitchen. Start a lifetime love of baking with your kids with this yummy recipe from Imperial Margarine (www.homebasics.ca).
- 3/4 cup Imperial Margarine (175 mL)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (125 mL)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 19 oz can prepared blueberry pie filling (540 mL)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (15 mL)
- 1/2 cup Imperial Margarine (125 mL)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (175 mL)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (125 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (375 mL)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (2 mL)
Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
To prepare the crust, cream together the margarine and brown sugar, then slowly mix in flour. Press the dough into a 13 x 8-inch (33 x 20 cm) greased baking pan, patting the dough evenly across the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Let cool.
In a medium bowl, mix together the pie filling and lemon zest.
For the streusel topping, cream together the margarine and brown sugar. Slowly add in the flour, oats and cinnamon until the mixture is uniform with a crumbly consistency.
Spread the blueberry mixture over the baked crust.
Sprinkle with the streusel mixture and bake at 350 F (180 C) for 30 minutes or until the top is crunchy and golden brown.
Cool for 15 minutes.
Serving Size: Makes 36 Bars