The Best Wurst Chicken Caliente Sandwich
Contributed by: NAPSA
The Best "Wurst" Chicken Caliente Sandwich
(NAPSA) - For the very best chicken recipe, you may have to add some wurst. That's the secret to "The Best 'Wurst' Chicken Caliente Sandwich," the grand - prize - winning recipe in the national Heinz Field Tailgate Recipe Contest. The grand - prize winner is Patricia Harmon, who has entered more than 80 cooking contests.
All of the winning recipes are available upon request or can be viewed at www.heinz.com
Other favorite tailgating recipes can be found in the Heinz Field Red Zone Cookbook, "Touchdowns to Tailgating - The Red Book for All You Need to Know About Football, Food and Heinz Field."
- 1 t. garlic pepper
- l/4 - l/2 t. cayenne pepper
- l lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 - inch pieces
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. smoked bratwurst with cheddar cheese or smoked sausage with cheddar cheese, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 medium - sweet onion, sliced (such as a Vidalia, Maui or Walla Walla)
- l/2 large red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 11/2 inch strips
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stems removed, seeded, chopped
- 1 12 oz. bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 T. Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 T. water
- 2 t. Heinz Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1 t. Heinz Worcestershire Sauce
- l/3 C. Heinz Sweet Relish
- 8 hoagie hard rolls, split
- 1 C. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese*
In a small bowl, mix together garlic pepper and cayenne and sprinkle chicken pieces with the pepper mixture.
In a large skillet stir - fry seasoned chicken in 2 T. olive oil about 4 - 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain and remove from pan. Add bratwurst or smoked sausage to skillet and brown, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from pan. Add remaining 1 T. olive oil to skillet and saute onion, red bell pepper and chopped jalapenos until tender and onions begin to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and bratwurst back to the skillet. Stir in chili sauce, vinegar, water, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and relish.
Cover and simmer 10 - 12 minutes. Pile mixture onto hoagie hard rolls. Top each sandwich with 2 T. shredded cheese.
*Note: Pepperjack cheese may be used if you like it extra spicy.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings