Holiday Pork Roast
Contributed by: News Canada
Heart Healthy Recipes - Serve a holiday pork roast - Alberta style
(NC) - "If you're hosting a larger group over the holiday season, look no further than this recipe," says Donna Hastings, vice president of health promotion for the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Alberta, Northwest Territories and Nunavut. "This pork loin roast tastes great and has a presentation that matches the festive tone of season."
Preparation time: 20 minutes - Cooking time: 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours
- 1 centre-cut pork loin roast, about 5 to 6 lbs (2.4 to 3 kg)
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (5 mL)
- 3 lb peeled and chopped root vegetables such as parsnips, rutabaga and carrots (1.5 kg)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (50 mL)
- 2 tbsp each tomato ketchup and mustard (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp each chopped fresh rosemary and minced fresh ginger (15 mL)
- 2 cans maple style beans (398 mL each)
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped 1
Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
Trim the visible fat from the roast and re-tie with kitchen twine.
Set the roast in the bottom of a large, greased roasting pan.
Sprinkle with pepper.
Scatter the vegetables around the roast.
Cover with foil and roast for 1 hour.
Stir the maple syrup with the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, rosemary and ginger.
Uncover the roast.
Brush some of the glaze over the roast.
Roast, uncovered, for 1 hour, basting occasionally with glaze.
Spoon the beans over the vegetables in the pan.
Add the red pepper.
Roast, uncovered, basting with any remaining glaze, for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until roast reads 160 F (70 C) on an instant read thermometer and vegetables are tender.
Transfer the roast to a cutting board.
Arrange the beans and vegetables on a serving platter.
Slice the roast and arrange on the platter with the beans.
For a roast ham variation, substitute a 6 lb (3 kg) spiral sliced ham for the pork loin.
This recipe is provided by Heinz Beans, a participant in the Health Check program. For more recipes, visit www.heartandstroke.ca.
Serving Size: Makes 10-12 Servings