Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
A Picture-Perfect Turkey
Contributed by: NAPSA
(NAPSA) - The first step to roasting a picture-perfect turkey, say the experts, is to start with a quality roaster. Here are some tips to help you choose one:
- Avoid flimsy disposable pans. Instead, choose a heavyweight roaster with strong handles.
- Dark-colored roasters absorb the oven's energy and evenly distribute it.
- Porcelain-on-steel roasters provide an even heat distribution for uniformly cooked, beautiful turkeys. Most hardware and retail stores carry a line of speckled porcelain-on-steel roasters called Granite Ware.
- Roast your turkey at a constant 325 to 350 F. A 16 to 24 pound turkey takes approximately 12 to 15 minutes per pound.
- Add water or broth to the pan to baste with and to keep the meat moist. Baste every 30 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer to insure thorough cooking. The deepest portion of the breast should read 170 F, the thigh, 180 F.
- Once finished, let the bird rest for about half an hour so the juices settle before carving.