POM-Glazed Pork Chops
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Time to table: 1 hour (20 minutes preparation plus 30 to 40 minutes cooking)
- juice from 2-3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates,* or 1 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 4 pork chops, about 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 1-lb. head red cabbage, shredded or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel or caraway seed
- 1/2 cup water, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 1 lb.)
- 1 cup warmed buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil; cook covered until soft, about 30 minutes.
Peel and core apples; cut into 1/4-inch slices.
Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a large skillet.
Brush Worcestershire sauce on pork chops.
Salt and pepper the pork chops and put them into the heated skillet.
Brown on both sides and lower the heat.
Mix 1/2 cup pomegranate juice with balsamic vinegar and cornstarch, and pour into the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook until pork chops are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
In a large saucepan, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and apples; cook until they begin to soften.
Add grated cabbage, bay leaf, 1/2 cup pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup water, fennel seeds, red wine vinegar and brown sugar.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cook for 30 minutes or until cabbage is soft.
Remove potatoes from heat and drain. Mash with a potato masher; add 1/2 to 1 cup warmed buttermilk and butter (optional).
Serve pork chops and cabbage with mashed potatoes.
* For 1 cup of juice, cut 2-3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Main Dish Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving (1 chop, 1/2 cup cabbage, 1/2 cup potatoes): 569 calories, 29g protein, 91g carbohydrate, 13g total fat (3g saturated), 64mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 9g dietary fiber, 240mcg vitamin A RE, 137mg vitamin C.