Warm Mushroom and Chicken Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A stir-fry that becomes a salad with the addition of warm vinaigrette dressing that enhances the flavours. For added pizzazz, top salad with crumbled goat cheese.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes - Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup/125 mL chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup/50 mL balsamic vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb/500 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup/50 mL vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp/7 mL EACH coriander and cumin
- 1 lb/500 g sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup/125 mL EACH thin carrot and red pepper strips (2"/5 cm)
- Freshly ground black or cayenne pepper to taste
- 6 cups/1.5 mL mixed salad greens
- crumbled goat cheese (optional)
In a measuring cup or small bowl combine broth, vinegar and garlic, set aside for vinaigrette.
Cut chicken into 1/2"(2.5 cm) cubes. In large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil with coriander and cumin over medium to high heat.
Saute chicken about 3 minutes. Add remaining oil and mushrooms, carrot and red pepper; stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Stir in vinaigrette and heat just until warm; add pepper to taste.
Divide greens equally on serving plates. Spoon mixture with dressing on top of greens; sprinkle with goat cheese if desired.
Tip: 1 lb/500g = 6 cups/1.5 L sliced mushrooms
"Funding for this project has been granted through the Canada-Ontario Research and Development Program, as funded by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs"
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings