Pasta with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Basil
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - For a fast, flavourful vegetarian dinner, make this easy to-prepare pasta dish, featuring Canadian Mushrooms... available year 'round.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 lb/(2cups/500 mL) 250 g penne or short pasta
- 2 tbsp/25 mL olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb/500g whole petite Canadian Mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups/625 mL chopped ripe tomatoes (2 large)
- 1/2 tsp/2 mL salt
- 1/4 tsp/1 mL pepper
- 1/4 cup/50 mL chopped fresh basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions; drain.
Meanwhile in large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; saute mushrooms with garlic 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper; saute 2 to 3 minutes or just until softened. Add basil and drained pasta; toss to mix well.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired, and garnish with basil leaves.
Tip: Cut mushrooms in half if they are a little large.
Use whole-wheat pasta for more fibre.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings