Ontario Mushroom and Chicken Fajitas
Contributed by: News Canada
Combine chicken and mushrooms this summer for amazing fajitas
(NC) - The whole family can have fun with a fajita dinner. Set out side dishes of grated cheese, bottled salsa and shredded lettuce and let everyone assemble their own version.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided 50 mL
- 1-cup red, green, and yellow pepper strips 250 mL
- 1/2 cup sliced celery 125 mL
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced 1
- 4 cups Ontario Mushrooms, sliced 1 L
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips 500 g
- 1/2 tsp EACH chili powder and cumin 2 mL
- 8 large soft flour tortillas, heated 8
- Grated cheese (optional)
In large skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil.
Saute peppers, celery and onion 3 minutes or until soft. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently; set aside; keep warm. Add remaining oil to skillet.
Coat chicken with seasonings; saute, stirring 6 minutes, or until no longer pink. Return mushroom mixture to skillet; toss gently with chicken to mix.
Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until heated through. Spoon about 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the mushroom, chicken mixture down centre of each tortilla; roll up. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minutes - Cooking time: 18 minutes
Serving Size: Makes 8 Fajitas
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: Energy 303 Kcal; 1270 kJ; Fat 9.5 g; Carbohydrate 36.0 g; Protein 18.7 g; Dietary Fibre 2.6 g