Tomato, Basil & Mushroom Pasta
Contributed by: News Canada
- 1 tablespoon Olive Lea Spread
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 500g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped basil
- 60g button mushrooms, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 500g penne pasta
- 3 - 4 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
Heat Olive Lea Spread in a saucepan, cook onion and garlic until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and basil.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes until sauce has thickened. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste.
Cook pasta in a large quantity of boiling salted water until tender, drain thoroughly and place onto serving plates. Top with sauce and serve sprinkled with basil leaves and shaved Parmesan cheese.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings