Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
Microwave Cooking Tips Ease Summer Heat
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Now that fruit season has arrived in Canada, did you know that in just a few minutes, you could make expert jams in the microwave oven? Indeed, as we look for ways to keep cool in the summer, here are a few more tips and tricks for better use of our low heat, low energy microwave oven. Be sure all utensils are microwave safe:
- Soften Brown Sugar. Place sugar bag, plus 1 cup of water in the microwave and set time for one minute on high heat.
- Soften Butter or Margarine. Set for 10 seconds at high heat. Sticks will retain shapes when softened.
- Soften Ice Cream. Check every 15 seconds at a high heat.
- Toast Coconut. Cook on high for 3 minutes. Stir every 30 seconds.
- Toast Nuts. Use 1 teaspoon of butter for every 1/2 cup of nuts. Cook on high for 2 to 5 minutes. Stir every 30 seconds.
- Upside Down Sundaes. Put a favourite topping in your bowl, heat on high for 20 seconds, then add ice cream on top.
- Mint Frosting. Place a mint patty on a cupcake. Microwave on high for 15-20 seconds.
- Fresh Fruit Jam. Preparation and cooking time takes only 10 minutes, for two, 250 mL jars. In a microwavable bowl, mix Jam Express - the pre-measured, all-in-one jam maker - with cut fruit, or fresh frozen fruit. Microwave for 5 minutes, fill the jars, and cool. Instead of a long hot process on the stovetop, it's done in just a few minutes. No extra sugar is required, and setting time is half-a-day.