Contributed by: News Canada
By Jennifer May
(NC) - Summer is all about colour and what better way to present it than with cocktails as pretty as a pitcher. This summer, sangria makes a splash and teaches fellow warm weather cocktail, the margarita, how to live large.
"Summer is about relaxing with friends and family so entertaining should be effortless," says Sharon Knox, director, Knox and Company, Canadian distributors of several brand name products found at your local LCBO. "By preparing no-fuss pitchers of your favourite cocktail it allows you more social time with guests. And the colourful presentation is guaranteed to impress them."
Perfect Summer Sangria
Pitchers of sangria and patios are the perfect pairing. The delicious combination of red wine and fruit make sangria one of summer's most popular and refreshing cocktails.
- 1 bottle of red wine or try a new ready- to-serve sangria product such as Yago Sant 'Gria
- Slices of lime, lemon and oranges
- 1 cup of a sweet liquor such as Cointreau, Triple Sec, or try Strawberry Schnapps
- Ice cubes
Mix all the ingredients in a clear pitcher (acrylic is best for backyard decks or around pool areas). Drink in the beautiful presentation before serving.
Classic Margarita by the Pitcher
Real aficionados will tell you the best margaritas use the freshest ingredients and are served on the rocks, not as a slushy or mixed in a blender. Try making a pitcher of margaritas when entertaining guests this summer.
- 1 - 750 ml bottle of a premium tequila such as Jimmy Buffett's favourite, Margaritaville
- 1 - 2 cups of Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (freshly squeezed is best!)
- Ice cubes
- Coarse salt for rimming glasses
Mix the first three ingredients together in a clear pitcher. Add ice. Rim serving glasses with coarse salt and garnish with a lime slice.
Way Too Easy Margarita Pitcher
If you can open a wine cooler, you can make a pitcher perfect margarita. Go traditional with lime garnishes or take a walk on the wilder side by adding seasonal fruit and a splash of your favourite liqueur.
- 1/2 bottle of Salvador's Original Margarita, found on the LCBO's ready- to-serve shelves in the Party Zone
- Slices of fresh lime
- Ice cubes
- Coarse salt for rimming glasses (optional)
Dial up a seasonal twist by adding 1 cup of strawberry or raspberry schnapps and 1/2 cup of fresh berries. Mango, peach and even beer can be added to vary the flavour of one summer's most popular cocktails.