Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
A Pantry For Fabulous Meals In The Middle Of Nowhere
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - We may be deep in the wilderness, miles from the nearest cappuccino, but we still want to eat well. Here's a list of basic items with which you can create fabulous meals in the middle of nowhere.
The Basic Camping/Cottage Pantry
- Canned tomatoes and beans
- Tortillas, pizza shells
- Lipton Sidekicks (rice, pasta, potatoes, noodles)
- Spaghetti sauce and barbecue sauce
- Canned salmon and tuna
- Salsa, mustard and peanut butter
- Durable fruit: oranges, apples, bananas
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Sturdy cheeses (Cheddar, Mozzarella or Monterey Jack)
- Essential veggies: onions, potatoes, carrots, peppers, celery, cabbage
- Basic seasonings: garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper
- Commercial biscuit mix
- Marshmallows (of course!)
Hints for Easy Camping/Cottage Cooking
- Cook hamburger with chopped onions for spaghetti sauce or chili and freeze it before leaving home. It will simplify things at mealtime, reduce the number of ingredients you'll have to pack, and cooked, frozen meat keeps longer in a cooler than raw meat.
- Take tortillas instead of squishable bread. Tortillas stay fresh for ages, pack well and have a million uses - as a pizza crust, in peanut butter roll-ups, quesadillas and fajitas.
- Think cabbage! It's sturdier than lettuce, one head makes a lot of coleslaw and whatever is left over can be cooked.
- Pack at least one self-indulgent treat. There's nothing better than eating some chocolate truffles while sitting around the campfire.
Lipton Sidekicks are the perfect traveling companion for your family. Visit www.homebasics.ca for cottage-friendly pasta, rice, noodle and potato dinner ideas.