Creamy Bacon & Tomato Chicken Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
Fresh market ingredients deliver wholesome dinners
(NC) - There's no better time of year than summer to visit your local farmers market, find a fresh arrival you love and build a menu around it. Here are two dinnertime ideas from www.homebasics.ca to help inspire you to support your local farmers.
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's Smokey Bacon & Tomato (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa (125 mL)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (15 mL)
- 6 cups fresh local lettuce leaves, washed and torn (1.5 L)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey (500 mL)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (4)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (250 mL)
In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise with salsa and lime juice; set aside.
In large bowl, combine lettuce, chicken, bacon and tomato. Just before serving, toss with mayonnaise mixture.
Makes 4 Servings
Pasta Primavera with Asparagus and Fresh Peas
- 1 lb trimmed asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) lengths (500 g)
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's Lemonnaise (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (50 mL)
- 1/4 cup milk (50 mL)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil (15 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes, optional (1 mL)
- 1/2 lb penne pasta (250 g)
- 1 cup fresh green peas (250 mL)
- black pepper
Steam asparagus just until it turns bright green, about 3 minutes. Rinse under cold running water to prevent overcooking.
Set aside. In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, Parmesan, milk, basil, salt and hot pepper flakes. Set aside.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook penne until almost tender. Add peas to the boiling pasta 3 minutes before it's finished cooking.
When the pasta is tender but not mushy, drain thoroughly, then return to the pot. Add asparagus and mayonnaise mixture, tossing over medium heat just until heated through.
Season with pepper and serve immediately.
Makes 4 Servings