Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
Here's The Skinny On Whole Grains
Contributed by: News Canada
Did you know?
- Women are leading the charge in whole grain snacking. Market research shows that women, particularly between the age of 18 and 34, are opting for multi grains over traditional snacks.
- 49% of consumers indicate they usually or always opt for whole grain products in the grocery store, restaurant or fast food outlets.
- Whole grains contain essential vitamins and minerals and give you the carbohydrate fuel your body needs for energy.
- Whole grains deliver dietary fibre and protective components that have a positive impact on overall health.
- Whole grains contain antioxidants and phyto-chemicals that protect against heart disease.
- The fibre in whole grains has been linked to reducing the risk of other serious ailments including breast and colon cancer.
A Snack For You
Here's a mouthwatering, whole grain treat, courtesy of Quaker:
- Choose a whole grain corn, or rice cake, like Quaker Crispy Wholegrain Cakes. Top with a little cheese, tuna, peanut butter or sardines to add protein power. Toppings are also delicious with crackers, pretzels and crisp breads.
More information on this subject is available on-line at: www.quakeroatmeal.com and at: www.wholegrainscouncil.org.