Alternate Greek Tomato Pie
Contributed by: Robert Cerello
This is my 2003 variation on a basic British tomato pie which uses only tomatoes, cream cheese and pie crust.
This is nearly a foolproof recipe.
- 1 ready-to-bake pie crust
- 4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes,(assorted varieties)seeded and pulped, cut up medium roughly
- 1 large vidalia onion
fresh garlic, to taste, minced, about 2 or 3 cloves
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- chives, to taste, about 1 tsp. chopped small
- 1 Cup mayo
- 1 Cup mixed Parmesan and Romano cheeses, grated
- 6 large basil leaves, torn small
- 8 oz. sour cream, light or regular
one dash tabasco
- lemon juice as desired
- 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese for final topping
Using 9" glass baking dish, ready prepared pie crust bottom half.
Layer half of the tomato and onion into pie shell in glass dish. Sprinkle with chives and basil.
Presoften the cream cheese for thirty seconds on low heat in a microwave, as usual.
Mix all other ingredients except feta cheese together. Mix well.
Pour half of the mixture over the tomatoes and onion. Layer remaining tomatoes and onion.
Pour the rest of the cream mixture over the top.
Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Check after 25 minutes.
With five minutes to go in baking, sprinkle feta cheese onto top of pie.
Continue baking until done and slightly superheated as desired.
Serve with a medium-dry white wine such as emerald Riesling or Navalle Colombard, etc., a side of mixed olives, and any lighter dessert of choice.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Entree Servings