Healthy Harvest Asian-Style Linguine
Contributed by: News Canada
Kitchen Quick Tips: Pasta tips for better health
(NC) - Pasta is everyone's favourite food and the good news is: pasta itself is far from fattening. By picking smart sauces and ingredients, you can still have your pasta and eat it too.
- replacing rich, fatty, cream-based Alfredo-style sauces with vegetable, tomato or herb-based sauces;
- using 2% or 1% milk instead of cream;
- adding lower fat or partially skimmed cheese for casseroles, lasagnas and au gratin dishes;
- trying whole grain pasta for a change of taste and flavour.
Did you know: Whole grain pasta choices are far more plentiful now and have far better taste than just a year ago? For example, on grocer's shelves, there are as many as 12 varieties in the Catelli Healthy Harvest Line alone. Choices range from Whole Wheat, Multigrain, and even Flax Omega-3. They are low in fat with no trans fat and are a high source of dietary fibre. Just add your favourite pasta sauce, or go to wholegrainpasta.ca for some new recipe tips and ideas.
Preparation: 20 minutes - Cooking: 25 minutes
- 375 g Catelli Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Linguine
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) hoisin sauce
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
- 90 mL (6 tbsp) roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) canola oil
- 1 bag (171 g) shiitake mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, in strips
- 3 green onions, in fine strips
- To taste salt and pepper
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
Cook linguine according to package directions; set aside.
In a bowl, blend 15 mL (1 tbsp) hoisin sauce with 5 mL (1 tsp) water. Use to baste chicken breasts; salt and sprinkle with 30 mL (2 tbsp) roasted peanuts.
Cook in oven preheated to 200°C (400°F) for 15 minutes; set aside.
Meanwhile, clean mushrooms and remove stems. Cut bigger mushrooms.
In a skillet, heat oil and sauté mushrooms around 1 minute. Add pepper strips and continue cooking another minute.
Add chicken strips, remaining hoisin sauce and chicken broth, then bring to a boil. Add pasta and green onions, mixing well to coat pasta.
Sprinkle with remaining peanuts and fresh coriander.
Serving Size: Makes 4 to 6 Servings