Happy New Year Fiesta Dip
Contributed by: News Canada
New Year's Snacking Makeover: fill the holiday hunger gap with better choices
(NC) - The holidays have come and gone and only a growling stomach, accustomed to plentiful holiday snacking remains. With the New Year comes the resolution to lose the holiday weight and adopt a better approach to snacking. The only question is: how do you do it?
"The holidays are all about indulging and excess, especially when it comes to food," says Lori Kelly, dietitian at Quaker-Tropicana. "But we need to set realistic and achievable New Year goals for healthier eating and weight loss. To start, the approach can be as simple as substituting some of your high-fat favourites with snacks like new Quaker Crispy Wholegrain Cakes."
Kelly suggests implementing a series of "mini" goals week by week to change your snacking habits, which will add up over time. Try some of her tips to help your "snacking makeover" become a reality:
- Week one: try to drink eight glasses of water per day
- Week two: kick start your metabolism with a healthy breakfast that includes whole grain cereals like Quaker Oatmeal.
- Week three: boost your vitamin and mineral intake with an extra vegetable, fruit or 100% juice, like Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice
- Week four: incorporate better snacks throughout your day by choosing options like whole grain rice or corn cakes or whole grain breads or bagels for sandwiches
- Week five: cut back on fried foods
Whole grain rice snacks and low-fat ingredients keep all the flavour - and none of the guilt - in New Year’s snacking.
This Mexican-style dip is a perfect low-fat complement for the dippable new Quaker Crispy Wholegrain Cakes - Mexican Fiesta.
- 1 cup Non-fat sour cream (250 mL)
- 1 cup Salsa (250 mL)
- 2 tbsp Chopped green peppers (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (15 mL)
- 1-2 pkgs. Quaker Crispy Wholegrain Cakes - Mexican Fiesta
Combine first four ingredients in bowl and mix well.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.