Creole Cabbage du Roi
Contributed by: Robert Cerello
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded small
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced as desired
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 Yellow Bell pepper, seeded and sliced smaller than the red pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, or 1/4 tsp. dried
- 1/2 tsp. fresh basil leaves, torn fairly small
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper or 8 drops Louisiana
- Gold hot sauce (or to taste)
- Salt to taste (if desired)
- Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of mixed tomatoes, pulped and diced
- 1/2 tsp. Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- Add shredded cheese of choice such as Provolone, Parmesan and Romano, if desired; or add sour cream
Melt the butter in a heavy skillet.
Add the cabbage and cook two minuted.
Add onion, peppers and 2/3 of seasonings.
Cover and cook over low heat until tender (stirring frequently).
Add the tomatoes, and cook for 10 minutes longer, uncovered.
The last two minutes, add remainder of seasonings.
You can also add green olives with the sour cream to this dish and serve with a dry white wine and sourdough or rye bread of choice.
Serving Size: Makes 3 - 4 Servings