Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Crispy, lightly coated eggplant with a zesty tomato-garlic topping.
- 2 tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley 25 mL
- 4 tsp chopped fresh basil 20 mL
- 1 tsp each: olive oil and lemon juice 5 mL
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cornmeal 175 mL
- 2 tbsp olive oil 25 mL
- Grated Parmesan cheese
In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, parsley, basil, oil,
lemon juice, salt and pepper; set aside.
Dip eggplant slices into flour, then into eggs, then cornmeal.
In large skillet, heat oil. Fry eggplant slices until lightly golden.
Place on baking sheet. Divide topping mixture among eggplant slices. Sprinkle top with cheese.
Bake at 425F (220C) about 10 minutes, or until cheese bubbles.
Serving Size: Makes about 8 bruschettas.