Cheese Shortbread Thumbprints
Contributed by: NAPSA
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese (375 ml)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup Gay Lea butter, softened (125 ml)
- 1 egg, separated 1
- 1/4 tsp pepper (1 ml)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (250 ml)
- 1 cup finely chopped skinned hazelnuts or almonds (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup Gay Lea Sour Cream (125 ml)
- 1 tsp dried dill weed (5 ml)
- 36 small strips smoked salmon
Preheat oven to 375 F (180 C). In food processor, pulse together Monterey Jack cheese, Parmesan cheese and butter until smooth. Blend in yolk and pepper. Pulse in flour just until soft dough is formed.
Place hazelnuts in shallow bowl. Place egg white in another shallow bowl. Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Dip in egg white; roll in nuts to coat.
Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. With thumb, make indentations in centre of each ball. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Bake in centre of oven for 15 minutes or until firm and slightly golden. Let cool on pan on racks.
Stir together Gay Lea Sour Cream and dillweed. Spoon into indentation. Top with thin strip of smoked salmon.
Serving Size: Makes 36 Thumbprints