Grilled Eggplant Antipasto with Roasted Red Pepper
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each chopped fresh basil, mint and parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 young eggplant (about 1 lb/500 g), cut in 1/2" (1 cm) slices
- 1/2 red sweet pepper, cut in 2 pieces
- 2 tbsp (approx.) (25 mL) olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh mint sprigs
Combine dressing ingredients and set aside at room temperature.
Brush eggplant slices and red pepper pieces with olive oil and grill over medium heat, turning
frequently, until eggplant slices are fork tender and nicely marked but not charred, and red pepper
skin is charred and blistered. Peel off red pepper skin and discard.
Cover and refrigerate red pepper pieces.
Using a nonreactive dish that will hold the grilled eggplant slices in 2 layers make one layer of
eggplant, drizzle with half of dressing and season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Repeat with remaining eggplant, dressing, and salt and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight, turning the slices once. One hour before
serving transfer eggplant to a platter. Cut reserved red pepper into thin strips and scatter over
Serve at room temperature, garnished with mint sprigs.
Preparation time: 10 minutes. -
Cooking time: 20 minutes. - Chill time: 4 hours.
Serving Size: Makes 4 - 6 appetizer servings.